Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A quick and easy cure for the crunchy munchies



I love a good salty snack just as much as the next person but what I don’t love is the guilt that I sometimes feel when I over indulge knowing that I took in way too many calories.



My go-to solution is homemade tortilla chips.  Now before you start to say that it would be too much work hear me out.  While it does require some wait time I guarantee that this simple recipe will take not much longer in preparation then walking to your pantry and pulling out a bag of your favorite brand.  In addition to being quick to make and healthy to eat this tasty snack can be made in any quantity needed so you never have to worry about stale chips!

To start I grab a bag of corn tortillas (El Milagros are my favorite but any brand would do) and pre-heat the oven to 400. 

Put one tortilla on a cutting board, brush with an oil of your choice (olive oil, corn oil, chili oil, etc) and then sprinkle with a topping of your choice (salt, red peppers, cayenne, hot sauce, cilantro, lime, etc).

Next place another tortilla on top and repeat the topping process. 

Once you have about 4-5 tortillas simple cut each into four pieces and add to a cookie sheet or whatever baking vessel you have around.

Into the oven for 10 or so minutes and out comes homemade fresh chips with less, fat, calories and salt than it’s bagged cousins.


Once you let them cool slightly they are topable as you wish.  These chips work great as dippers for salsa or guacamole and also can be used as great building blocks for nachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment