Monday, June 18, 2012

Recipes: Healthified Stuffed Chicken Breast



I have never been much of a beef eater and although I have recently starting adding it into my diet on a more regular basis my heart still stays loyal to chicken as my go-to protein.  Chicken is versatile, full of protein and relatively inexpensive but sometimes you just run out of ways to prepare it and it becomes boring.


Baked chicken again?  No thanks.  To keep things exciting I like to try new ways to re-invent old stand bys such as baked chicken while keeping them healthy.

Start with a basic chicken breast and using a meat tenderizer pound to about 1/2 inch thickness.  This breaks down the meat, makes it more tender and easier to work with.


Next gather your “stuffing”.  This could be anything that you have around the house that sounds good to you.  I used garlic, spinach, tomatoes and for some creaminess fat free cream cheese.


I sautéed the garlic and spinach in a little olive oil


I piled the items onto my flattened chicken breast



I then folded the chicken around the filling and secured with toothpicks.


I sprinkled with a little flour and then added to a hot dry pan to brown, it took about 4 minutes on each side.


Next into a 400 degree oven it went to finish cooking, about 15 minutes.


Voila!  A delicious (still healthy) version of an old standby.






1 comment: