Thursday, May 10, 2012

Craving... Vegetables?

Have you ever craved healthy food?  Like really NEEDED something fresh and crunchy and knowingly good for you? 



In my previous post I mentioned a particularly sinful dessert that I have been working on.  I don't know about you but when I am doing a lot of baking I also do a lot of eating of baked goods. 

A few cupcakes with lopsided frosting?  Well I have to eat those. 

Trimming cakes so that the layers fit together nicely?  Well I can't just throw those away... 

Frosting is left on beaters and around the edge of the bowl?  Oh come on, how can I let that go down the drain!

So between the Share Our Strength Bake Salea pending Mother's day cake and random other baking projects I am so over sugar right now and desperately needed a little vegetable therapy.

In an effort to counteract all things sweet I went with a deliciously nutritious plate of:

Garlic Green Beans

Start with a bag of green beans, no real measurement, just however much you think you will need and trim the ends off:


Be careful not to drop any on the floor, especially if you have a tiny white dog running around....  Oh wait, my cousin who is studying to be a Vet Tech told me it was ok for dogs to eat certain vegetables, go ahead Izzy, enjoy! (see deer-in-the-headlights look and green bean between her paws)


Add to boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then remove and place in ice water to stop the cooking.


Next melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a sauce pan, add 1 tsp of olive oil and a few cloves of sliced garlic.


Add the green beans and stir to combine and heat through


Ahhhh, vegetables, glorious vegetables :)



Delicious!  Now what is for dessert??  Just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment