Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday Funday: Homemade Marshmallows

Remember when my cousin Jess graduated from MSU and I gave her this box of goodies? 



 Did you wonder what the little squares were on the left hand side?  Well wonder no longer, they were homemade marshmallows and today I am going to tell you how I made them.



A few years back I had a fondu party for Valentine's day.  My friend Christa asked what she could bring and I said anything that could be dipped in chocolate.  One of the things that she brought was homemade marshmallows!  I was so impressed!!  I had never thought of making my own marshmallows but had seen them in specialty stores.

When I was trying to decide what else to put into Jess's gift (the key factor being something that I could make green) the idea of Marshmallows popped back in my head.

The beauty of this recipe is that it uses Jell-O which comes in a million flavors and colors which can be made into marshmallows to be used in hot cocoa, rice krispie treats, s'moores, etc.

I got the recipe from: http://www.bukisa.com/articles/270762_make-colored-holiday-marshmallows-at-home

Step 1



In a saucepan, stir until dissolved with whisk, a 3 oz. package of Jell-O (any flavor/color representing the holiday you are celebrating at the moment--red for Valentines; green for Christmas; yellow for Easter; etc.); 1 t. unflavored gelatin; and 2/3 C boiling water.

Step 2

Stir in 1 C sugar. Blend in 3 T. light Karo Corn Syrup. Chill in refrigerator until slightly thickened.


Step 3

PREPARE PAN: Line an 8 inch square pan with waxed paper. Spray waxed paper with cooking spray.

Step 4



Beat chilled jell-o mixture with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand in refrigerator overnight.



Step 5

Next morning, Turn out mixture onto a clean surface heavily dusted with powdered sugar. To remove waxed paper, dampen surface and let stand a few minutes; then peel off waxed paper.

Step 6

Dust top of colored marshmallows with powdered sugar. Cut into 1 inch squares with long greased knife or spray cookie cutters of holiday shapes and cut out cute colored marshmallows (Christmas trees, bunnies, pumpkins, hearts---depending on color of Jell-O used).

Step 7



Roll edges in powdered sugar or colored sprinkles, coconut, chopped nuts, candies, etc. Place some on toothpicks stacked up for a real treat! Serve these at your holiday parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment