Monday, July 18, 2011

Recipes- Cheesecake

I have to admit that I have a bad habit... I often make large batches of things and then get tired of them before I get around to eating all of it.  This happens with soup, baked goods, entrees, you name it, I'm sick of it by day 3.  You would think I would learn my lesson and make smaller batches. 

My most recent freezer filling project?  Almost sugar free pumpkin apple muffins.  They were very good, I ate them for breakfast and then I became bored with them so it was time to repurpose them into something new and exciting!

The first thought that came to mind was bread pudding, an easy was to use up leftover cake or muffins.  The only problem?  I don't like bread pudding, just not my favorite.  So as an alternative I decided to turn my leftover muffins into crumbs.  Because I had kept the leftover muffins in the freezer they were still soft and moist once defrosted.  Rather than leave them out on the counter to get stale I sped the process along by drying them out in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

Once the muffin chunks were cooled I put them in the food processor and pulverized them to resemble cookie crumbs.

What to do with the crumbs?  Cheesecake of course!

I started my mixing 1 cup of crumbs with 3 tablespoons of melted butter and pressing it into a small springform pan (I think it was 8-in).  I topped the crust with a layer of blueberries and put in the fridge.




I then whipped 1 cup of ricotta, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla until fluffy.  I poured it over the blueberry topped crust.



Into the over it went, 350 degrees for 40 minutes and then into the fridge to cool.  Topped with another layer of blueberries it made a really tasty and easy dessert!

The only problem?  About 1 cup of crumbs left... hmmm, now what?  Check back later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment