Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Funday: MSU Cupcakes




A few weeks ago my cousin graduated from Michigan State, way to go Jesse!!!  In honor of our trip to East Lansing to watch her walk across the stage I decided to make some celebratory cupcakes.


I started out by making a basic vanilla cupcake from MingMakesCupcakes.com:

Since they don't make MSU cupcake wrappers in Illinois I made my own.  I found MSU graphics online and printed a sheet in color.


Then I cut out half circles.  The best way to do this is to cut the bottom out of a cupcake wrapper, cut it open, trace the outline on cardboard and then use it with your paper.


I then formed cupcake holders, taped the edges and put the cupcakes in them.





Next I decorate the cupcakes.  I made two different types.  One was a circle cut out of white fondant and topped with an "S" cut out of green fondant.




The other was a  circle of green fondant topped with a white "Sparty".  Sparty is MSU's mascot.  To make Sparty I found a picture of him online, printed the picture, put waxed paper over it and traced Sparty with white royal icing.  Once Sparty had hardened I added him to the top of the cupcake with a little icing.



To package them I made a cupcake holder by cutting holes in the top of a box so that the cupcakes could sit and not be moved around.


I then added the cupcakes to the rest of the gift box and off to Michigan we went :)

No comments:

Post a Comment