Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday Funday: Cookies on a Stick Part 1



When I was in college my grandparents sent me a cookie bouquet and I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.  Beautifully decorate cookies on stick arranged like flowers, brilliant... I wish I had thought of that!  Since then I have been creating my own version and they are easier than you would think.  It took awhile to get the technique right but now that I have it down I will share it with you!


I start with this:

My favorite cookie recipe.  I follow the recipe exactly, except I usually just make a 1/2 batch, too much extra cookie dough means too much temptation for me...  The best part about this cookie dough recipe will be discussed later.

To make cookies on a stick you need prepared cookie dough, a rolling pin, cookie cutters, sticks (you can buy these at craft stores or even walmart), flour and a smooth surface for rolling.



Roll the dough to 1/2 inch thickness, they need to be thick cookies so that the stick can fit.



Cut out your shapes



Place on a baking sheet leaving room between to make stick insertion easier.



And now the best part about this cookie dough... The picture above is pre-baking and this next picture is after, no spreading! This is great for making cookies that you want to hold their shape!!  They are almost identical in size.


As soon as the come out the oven insert a stick into each, if you wait to long they will be cooled.  In the beginning I used to put the stick in prior to baking but it sometimes broke the dough or mis-shaped the cookie, this is much easier and as the cookie cools it will become one with the stick and won't slide out, I promise!


Stick insertion is very important.  If you push it in too far it will come out the top.  If you don't push it in far enough the cookie may fall off.  The best way to check?  Grab another stick and hold it up to the cookie so you will know exactly where the stick placement is.


Remove cookies from the baking sheets and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.


And there you go... cookies on a stick!  Want to know how to decorate them?  Check back later in the week :)













No comments:

Post a Comment