Monday, April 18, 2011

Random Things I Have in My Kitchen

So I decided to start a new topic called "Random Things I Have in My Kitchen".  I have always loved infomercials and all of those wacky home products that are sold that you wonder if people actually buy.  If you see it, I probably have it...





When I was 13 I got the "Print Gocco"




When I was 15 I got "The Incredible Sweater Machine"


Remember the Ron Popelli Pasta Maker? Yep, I had one.  The Food dehydrator and the Juiceman Juicer?  Both have held a prominent space in my kitchen cabinets.

   


When I was a freshman in college I bought a "Rocket Chef". 



I came home one weekend and had a group of friends over.  I introduced them to my Rocket Chef and boy were my parents surprised to come home from a night out to find me and 10 of my closest friends (guys and girls) in the kitchen surrounded by just about everything we could think of to "rocket".  A few friends who had lived near by even went home to raid their parents fridges to see what we could come up with.

Needless to say, I have a love affair with random household products that are often sold on late night TV.  The topic of conversation today?  The Presto Quick Burger:




I really don't eat very much red meat but this little gadget caught my attention when I found it for $4 at CVS.  I can't resist a good bargain or a new kitchen toy so home it came.

It is super easy to use and the best part is that all of the fat drains out while you are cooking similar to a regular grill but small enough to fit in my cabinet.  So a few nights ago I decided I wanted a hamburger for dinner.  Yes I could have made it with my grill pan but I decided to use my quick burger.

One side of the pan plugs into the wall.  The other side has holes in it to drain fat away and another pan underneath to collect it.

 


You put hamburger meat into it and close

















Take the burger out and check out all of the gross disgusting fat that cooked off
















Yuck!  But better off in the pan then in our bodies.  this is pretty similar to the fat that cooks off if you use an outdoor grill or a George Foreman type grill, it's just interesting because here you can see it all in one place.  I was so curious about it that I measured it















A whole 1/4 cup!  Wow!!  I started with 1/3# of beef and got rid of 1/4 cup of fat.  Now imagine if I had used that 1/3# of beef in a recipe without draining the fat.  Kinda makes you think about how important cooking methods are in reducing fat and calories.

Anyway, in the end I had a beautifully cooked burger thanks for my Presto Quick Burger!  Worth the retail value of $20?  Probably not.  A pretty darn good deal at $4, absolutely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment