Sunday, April 17, 2011

SUNDAY FUNDAY: Spiked Cupcakes

Happy St. Patrick's Day + 1 month!  I had planned on posting this on MARCH 17th but my computer was acting up so here goes!




I was in search of a creatively Irish dessert recipe and I found this:


A recipe by Nigella Lawson for Guinness cake.  It looked delicious but complicated.  I wasn't in the mood for all of that work so bought this:



And I gathered what I had around the house.  A yellow cake mix, some cocoa powder and Christmas cupcake wrappers that because of their green color could nicely double as St. Patrick's day wrappers.



I put the cake mix and 1/4 cup of cocoa into my mixer.



I followed the recipe on the box, added the oil and eggs as stated but then substituted Guinness for the water.  I scooped into lined muffin tins and baked according the the package instructions for cupcakes.





Once cooled I used an apple corer to take the centers out


I put one cup of melted chocolate chips, 4 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup Irish whisky into a ziplock bag.


I snipped a corner of the bag and filled the cupcakes


To make an equally sinful frosting that only cupcakes made with Guinness and filled with whisky would be worthy of I combined 4 cups of powdered sugar with 1 stick of butter and 2 tablespoons of Bailey's.  I frosted each cupcake and topped with a green fondant flower.



The end product was a delightfully light and fluffy cupcake (thanks to the bubbly properties of the beer) with a rich and creamy frosting.  Who knew a cupcake could be both a dessert and cocktail!


Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment