Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ricotta Part Three: Italian Cookies










I saw this recipe on an Italian cooking show and thought it would be a great way to use my ricotta  (Ricotta Part One) and try a new recipe.

Italian Cookies:

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
8 ounces ricotta
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Icing:
1 cup powered sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
2-3 tsp milk

Mix all together and drop by rounded teaspoon onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake 9-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Once cool frost with recipe above.

I use Smart Balance butter (trans fat free, contains omega-3's, heart healthy) and it turned out great.  I used whole eggs.  I some times substitute egg beaters or egg whites in recipes but since I had already substituted the butter for Smart Balance I left the rest of the recipe as it was. 

I feel that changing a few things in a recipe can make a difference, changing too many things will likely change the taste of the final product.  And when you think about it, 2 eggs mixed into a dough that makes 36 cookies means that each cookie has 1/18th of an egg, not a big deal at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment