Sunday, December 26, 2010

12 Days of Holiday Baking

I spend a lot of the year creating and perfecting healthy items to share with family and friends.  During the holiday season however all of my nutritional know-how gets put on the back burner and I use just as much sugar, butter and salt as everyone else.  This doesn't mean that I condone holiday weight gain it just goes to show you that within moderation holiday treats can be part of any diet plan. 

This season presented me with an abundance of holiday parties and events that allowed me to use my culinary skills to treats my friends and family with a variety of yummy goodies.  I started on December 1st shopping, organizing and strategizing my plan and here is how it all worked out. 

Day 1: Infused Vodkas. 















A good friend of mine shared her limoncello recipe with me and from there the idea of infusing vodka took off!  The process had to be started early since the goal of using them for Christmas presents meant that I had to start infusing at least 30 days head.  The process itself was very easy.  1.) open a bottle of vodka and pour a little out  2.) put infusion items in the bottle  3.) Store in a dark place for 2-4 weeks  4.) Strain through cheese cloth and put into pretty bottles. 

 

This years infusions included:  Apple Cinnamon, Pumpkin Spice, Cranberry Apple, Ginger, Jalapeno and Blackberry Vanilla. then in a similar process I made Limoncello, "Lime"cello, Irish Cream and vanilla extract.


Day 2: Glogg (Swedish Mulled Wine)

Day 3: Brownie Trees and Chocolate Mint Cream Filled cupcakes
















Day 4: Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins
Mini Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins

Day 5: Pepparkova (Swedish Gingersnaps)


Day 6:  Coconut Caramel Candy

Mix 1 cup Coconut, 1 cup of White Chocolate Chips, 1 cup of peanuts and 24 unwrapped caramels in a microwave safe bowl until melted, press into a buttered pan and then cut into squares once cooled.  Done and delicious!

Day 7:  Pettit Four Truffles



Day 8:  Sugar Cookies with Rolled Fondant










Day 9: Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies- I often make "regular recipes" gluten free by substituting corn meal for flour in my regular recipes!

Day 10: White Chocolate Covered Oreos


Day 11: Pumpkin Peanut Butter Puppy Treats

Don't forget the dogs!

Day 12: Chocolate Oatmeal Bars





HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

1 comment:

  1. Have to say that your infused vodkas look pretty official! I'm going to have to track down your bottle source...

    I will definitely be using some of these recipes- and stepping up my dessert presentation after seeing your amazing pictures!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete