Monday, April 4, 2011

Recipes- Cookbooks: Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook


I own well over 200 cookbooks, I love them!  I read them like novels, collect them from places that I visit and enjoy sharing them with friends.  One of my favorite cookbooks is "Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook".  No, it isn't the newest and most innovative cookbook but I cherish it because it had belonged to my grandma Vera. 


The spine is falling apart, some of the pages are stained with use but most importantly I am reminded of my grandma every time I use it, she even put some notes in her own hand writing right in the recipes!  My copy was printed in 1961 and includes lists of simple cooking techniques, meal planning, explanations of types of table service, sample menus and just about every classic recipe you can imagine! 

It even includes "Hints for Homemakers" including:

- Write menus for a weeks meals at a time
- Bake cakes or cookies while washing dishes
- Every morning before breakfast, comb hair, apply make-up and a dash of cologne
- Think pleasant thoughts while working and a chore will become a labor of love
- Alternate sitting and standing tasks

Wow, we have certainly come a long way!  But we also can value the tried and true recipes of cooks of years ago.  This is my go-to book for simple and timeless recipes.  Since the book came out in the 1960's the recipes are all made with simple ingredients that most of us have around the house.   

I love to entertain friends and family often have visitors come for the weekend.  I look for any excuse to cook and Sunday morning breakfast is no exception.  Cooking for a few friends can seem overwhelming but it can be quite easy if you keep it simple.  A quick and easy recipe? Waffles!


The recipe calls for:

2 eggs
2 cups of buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tablespoons melted butter

I mixed all in a large glass measuring cup to make pouring super simple.



I poured it into a pre-heated non-stick waffle maker.



Make sure you fill it all the way like above or if you don't it may turn out like this:



Opps!  Only made that mistake once :)  The rest turned out lovely!  About 10 minutes later we had 6 delicious and homemade waffles.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment