Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Funday HELLO SUPER BOWL!



Ahhhh, Sunday, the day that I eat as I like and not feel guilty about it :)  Heading to a super bowl party tonight?  I have just the perfect thing.  It's cheesy and spicy, easy to portion, not too messy and delicious!  What could I be referring to?  Stromboli...

Stromboli is a type of turnover filled with cheese, Italian meats (salami, capicola, bresaola) and vegetables.

While "Stromboli" sounds very Italian it was actually reported to have originated in 1950 in Essington, just outside of Philadelphia, at Romano's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria and was named after the movie Stromboli, starring Ingrid Bergman.

To make the Stromboli I started with refrigerated Italian bread dough.

















Rolled it into a rectangle















Layer cheese around, leaving a small amount around the edges. I used monteray jack because it's what I had.















Topped with thinly sliced pepperoni.















Roll it up and tuck in the ends
















Cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape and brush with a little olive oil for  golden brown crust.  Bake seam side down in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
















Let cool for 10 minutes and then serve with a side of marinara.



No comments:

Post a Comment