Thursday, January 13, 2011

What Does a Dietitian Eat?

Eating is one of the biggest joys in life.  As a dietitian I try and make my day 80% good for me stuff and always allow for 20% treats.  The key is moderation and balance, eat when you are hungry and get your 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. 

Yesterday I knew that I would be going out to eat for dinner so I chose healthier smaller items earlier in the day to help make up for the higher calorie meal that I knew I would be having that evening.

Here is how the day went:




* We hear it all the time, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day".  Yes, it is important.  Yes, it does get the metabolism going.  Yes, it is important to have the right foods.  I have never been a breakfast person, I am simply just not hungry when I first get up.  Do I skip breakfast?  No, I just wait until that little voice in my head tells me I am hungry and for me it is around 10am.  I do eat breakfast, it just usually happens a little later than most.  Eating just to eat can provide extra calories.  Listen to your body, with proper training it will tell you when you are hungry and when you are full.

For breakfast and lunch I usually eat something light that I can keep in my office at work. It is important to keep healthy things on hand at work so that you have something to reach for when you are hungry, if not you are more likely to make unhealthy choices.

I knew that I would be going out after work for dinner and drinks.  Because I cut back on calories earlier in the day I was able to have a more indulgent dinner along with a few cocktails.  As for my drink of choice, I had never had a whiskey sour and I must say it was delicious!  As for "dinner" we ended up getting several appetizers to share.  They came one at a time which allowed time in between items to allow for our stomachs to catch up with our eyes and provided just the right about of food, Yum!

One last comment.  No matter what, have at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables and 8 glasses of water per day, no exception!  Whether it's a Sunday Funday free for all or a normal Tuesday, make sure you always have the staples.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment